(As adapted from Transition United States available here. )
1. Create Positive Visions. Our primary focus is on creating positive, empowering possibilities and opportunities that go beyond dependence on fossil fuels.
2. Provide People Good Information and Trust Them. We raise awareness of peak oil, climate change, the downfalls of economic growth, and related issues in an enthusiastic, empowering, and honest way. We respect each person’s ability to make a response that is appropriate to their situation.
3. Foster Inclusion and Openness. We appreciate diversity and welcome all community members to join us.
4. Enable Sharing and Networking. We share our personal and communal successes, failures, insights abilities, and connections to build a collective body of experience.
5. Build Resilience. We work towards increasing the capacity of our communities (which includes our ecosystem) to withstand and adapt to shock, and change as needed – in particular as it relates to our food, economy, and energy uses.
6. Be Aware of Inner and Outer Transition. We become more aware that the challenges we face are not just caused by our technologies but are a direct result of our world view and belief systems. We journey together through the fear, grief, and denial that this awareness can create by following our passions.
7. Encourage self‐organization. Decision making is allowed to occur at the most appropriate, practical and empowering level, and in such a way that it models the ability of natural systems to self-organize.