Saturday, July 2, 2016

Experimentation in Vegitation Fermentation

Kraut-Chi
Experimenting with fermenting some vegetables.  Go to Blaine Farmers market and pick up some beets, carrots, radishes, & cabbage.  Wash veggies, chop them up along with their greens.  Go to garden and pick some green onions and chop them up.  Mix chopped vegetables and sea salt in a bowl.  Leave the lactic acid bacteria on the veggies.  Squish it all together with your hands until the liquids covers the mixture.  Spoon into quart canning jars makings sure that liquid covers the mixture.  Let sit a room temperature for several days.  Be sure to open jars daily to let off the pressure.  Eat - I hope.  

See chapter 5 of Sandor Ellix Katz book THE ART OF FERMENTATION for more details.  

2 comments:

  1. A great book Tom! I have not read enough of it.. Or tried making enough fermented foods. I am loving my kombucha and kvass I make. I think it is easier to start out with drinks and then move to more solid ferments. At least for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete